About the recipe
For this recipe I took inspiration from my good friend Joe Wicks, who makes a fantastic vegan bean burger which all goes in one bowl and you squidge it together with your hands! It’s such a quick win for a BBQ or a little dinner for you and baby! This one goes really well with Tomato Salsa (see page 171) and a little Chickpea Dip (see page 193).
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 mini burgers
**Offer as finger food burgers for younger babies alongside some sliced beef tomatoes and bread fingers.
(Photography by Haarala Hamilton 2021)
What you will need
- 1/2 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and mashed well
- 1/2 x 400g tin black beans, drained
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika.
- 1 tbsp plain flour (or use a gluten-free alternative).
- olive oil, for cooking
- Tomato Salsa (see page 171), Chickpea Dip (see page 193) and burger buns
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Put all the ingredients (aside from the oil) in a bowl and mix really well with your hands. Crush the ingredients together really well – it might take a little time and effort to get them really well mixed..
3. Shape the mixture into 6 small burger shapes and sprinkle each with a little oil. Place on the lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes (turn them halfway through).
4. Serve with Tomato Salsa and Chickpea Dip in mini burger buns or warmed pitta breads, and a side of greens.
The book launch
About the Author
Charlotte Stirling-Reed is a leading nutritionist based in the UK. She has a first class degree in Human Biology and Nutrition (BSc), a Masters (MSc) in Nutrition and Public Health, and is Registered with the Association for Nutrition. Founder of her successful consultancy practice - SR Nutrition - Charlotte works with a variety of clients including global brands and celebrities. Charlotte is the nutritionist who worked with Joe Wicks on his Wean in 15 book and has a strong social media platform with nearly 200k followers on Instagram (@SR_Nutrition). Charlotte started her career working for the NHS and has since spent many years working with families.